Tonight I asked God to teach me something. My reading certainly did!!
According to what I’ve just read and interpreted, the two popes (one rotten) and the Warning – before the Final Eschatological battle are in the Old Testament too! Of course, they are not named that way; but the descriptions, the symbols, the metaphors perfectly fit, and so do the order of events, each in close proximity to the other. By the time I reached the last section, the interpretation was clear.
Zechariah Ch 11 – 14
My particular Bible (CTS – Catholic Truth Society)) has subheadings: (see headings in photo above)
- The Two Shepherds (the loyal and the selfish one; see footnote within image below)
- The Deliverance and Restoration of Jerusalem
- Invocation to the sword; the new people
- The Eschatological Battle: The Splendour of Jerusalem
The contents are telling!
I have provided some excerpts below.
Look them up and read in full. It’s fascinating! Especially with what The Lord does with the two staffs. Look up these readings to get the full picture.
Some excerpts from Zechariah Chapters 11 to 14:
Zechariah 11: 4-7
The Shepherd Narrative. 4Thus says the LORD, my God: Shepherd the flock to be slaughtered. 5For they who buy them slay them and are not held accountable; while those who sell them say, “Blessed be the LORD, I have become rich!” Even their own shepherds will not pity them. 6For I will no longer pity the inhabitants of the earth—oracle of the LORD.—Yes, I will deliver them into each other’s power, or into the power of their kings; they will crush the earth, and I will not deliver it out of their power.
7So I shepherded the flock to be slaughtered for the merchants of the flock. I took two staffs: one I called Delight, and the other Union. Thus I shepherded the flock.
Zechariah 13: 7-9
The Song of the Sword
- Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, against the one who is my associate—oracle of the LORD of hosts. Strike the shepherd that the sheep may be scattered; I will turn my hand against the little ones.8 In all the land—oracle of the LORD—two thirds of them will be cut off and perish, and one third will be left. 9 I will bring the one third through the fire; I will refine them as one refines silver, and I will test them as one tests gold. They will call upon my name, and I will answer them I will say, “They are my people,” and they will say, “The LORD is my God.”
6. On that day there will no longer be cold or frost. 7. There will be one continuous day—it is known to the LORD—not day and night, for in the evening there will be light. 8. On that day, fresh water will flow from Jerusalem,e half to the eastern sea, and half to the western sea. This will be so in summer and in winter. 9The LORD will be king over the whole earth;f on that day the LORD will be the only one, and the LORD’s name the only one.