“In this supreme moment of the need of the Church,
those who should speak will fall silent.”-
“If by the Roman Church you mean its head or pontiff, it is beyond question that he can err even in matters touching the faith. He does this when he teaches heresy by his own judgment or decretal. In truth, many Roman pontiffs were heretics. The last of them was Pope John XXII († 1334).”
- Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica II, II, q. 33, a
“It must be observed, however, that if the faith were endangered, a subject ought to rebuke his prelate even publicly.”
- Pope St. Gregory the Great “It is better that scandals arise than the truth be suppressed.”
“But, when necessity compels, not those only who are invested with power of rule are bound to safeguard the integrity of faith, but, as St. Thomas maintains: ‘Each one is under obligation to show forth his faith, either to instruct and encourage others of the faithful, or to repel the attacks of unbelievers.’” https://www.stpeterslist.com/7334/the-path-to-hell-is-paved-with-the-skulls-of-bishops-8-quotes-and-sources/
“When the shepherd becomes a wolf, the first duty of the flock is to defend itself.” Quoted by Card. Burke in a homily on Feb. 9, 2018 at a Pontificial Mass in Kansas.
- The Right and Duty to Resist a Pope
See more at: http://www.romancatholicism.org/duty-resist.html
In this article, the author explores how St Peter, St Paul, various popes and theologians have responded to this question’
- Cardinal Burke discusses possibility of excommunication by Pope Francis
- Open Apostasy In The Vatican – Fr. Jerome Guest Post
Fr. Jerome Guest says:
Let me remind the readers of three definitions:
1) Heresy is the denial of even one part of Divine Revelation
2) Apostasy is a full renunciation of the unique and redemptive act of Jesus Christ.
3) Soteriology is the study of salvation.
The false prophet on the Chair of Peter is now espousing a soteriology that is little different from a Unitarian Universalist. We have full apostasy now in the Vatican…and not a single bishop is willing to say anything against full and outright soteriological apostasy? No. Rather, our most “courageous” prelates flex their muscles against a single sexual line in Amoris Laetitia.
This is not courage. It is not courage that no one questions a clearly-forced Papal-resignation of Pope Benedict XVI. It is not courage that no one (except a retired courageous bishop in Texas) questions a tampered-Conclave to elect our current false-prophet. …
For not resisting with courage. If any bishop should ever read this, let me remind you that the Holy Spirit in the book of the Apocalypse places through the Apostle John cowards in the same lake of fire as murderers:
“But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”—Apocalypse 21:8 ESV
Read more at: http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/2018/01/05/open-apostasy-vatican-fr-jerome-guest-post/
- Alessandro M. Minutella: “Suspension and Double-Excommunication: ‘These are medals of honor’ “Resist, resist, resist!”
See more at: https://www.catholicfamilynews.org/blog/2017/12/5/resist-resist-resist-cfn-exclusive-interview-minutella
- ‘But the Pope said so!’: Excuses that may not help on Judgment Day
Peter Kwasniewski explores crises of Faith throughout History in the form of form of hypothetical dialogues between Christ and a soul at its particular judgment.
See more at: https://www.lifesitenews.com/blogs/but-the-pope-said-so-excuses-that-may-not-help-on-judgment-day
- Correcting Pope Francis: Detraction or Duty?
(See whole article at: http://twoheartspress.com/correcting-pope-francis-detraction-or-duty/)
Excerpts from Dr. Kelly Bowring’s article:
“Just as it is licit to resist the Pontiff who attacks the body, so also is it licit to resist him who attacks souls or destroys the civil order or above all, tries to destroy the Church. I say that it is licit to resist him by not doing what he orders and by impeding the execution of his will.” ― St. Robert Bellarmine
Catholics need to understand that there is no Church canon law that prohibits us from speaking up about our concerns, even regarding the Pope. … We must realize that souls are at stake, not only by the Pope’s apparent double-talk but also because of the silence of those who should speak up, but who are, as of now, failing to do so.
“If however, God were to permit a pope to become a notoriously and contumacious heretic, he would by such fact cease to be pope, and the apostolic chair would be vacant.” St. Alphonsus Liguori, Church Doctor
To speak up our concerns now is to support the Papacy and the Magisterium of the Church, even though some accuse us of the contrary. According to Cardinal Burke in a recent interview:
“You have a ridiculous situation of someone who simply defends what the Church has always taught and practiced being accused of being schismatic or being contrary to the (true) Roman pontiff,” said Cardinal Burke at one point. “But this is all the work of the Devil, and we have to recognize it for such.” (1/15/16 interview with Teresa Tomeo)
Remaining faithful and obedient, yes, but quiet and fearful, no!
“At the time of this tribulation a man, not (authentically) canonically elected, will be raised to the Pontificate, who, by his cunning, will endeavor to draw many into error… For in those days Jesus Christ will send them not a true Pastor, but a destroyer.”- St. Francis of Assisi
I think in a time in which a great part of the holders of the office of the Magisterium are negligent in their sacred duty, the Holy Spirit calls today, namely the faithful, to step into the breach and defend courageously the Catholic faith…
“The Holy Spirit calls the faithful today to step into the breach and defend courageously the Catholic Faith.”
- Bishop Athanasius Schneider ( 2/1/16)
For even a Pope can fall into heresy, thus invalidating his pontificate. Should this happen, he would merit our outright criticism and rejection, becoming an enemy of God and His Church.
“The declared enemies of God and His Church, heretics and schismatics, must be criticized as much as possible, as long as truth is not denied. It is a work of charity to shout: ‘Here is the wolf!’ when it enters the flock or anywhere else.” “Here is the wolf!”(St. Francis de Sales)
“If any authority, even the highest authority, were to deny [Church] truth or act contrary to it, I would be obliged to resist.” Cardinal Raymond Burke (2015)”
“…a pope can “destroy the Church through his evil actions” and then “it would be unlawful to allow him to act in such a fashion”;
“on the contrary, there is a duty to oppose him”; there “would be a duty to prevent him, and likewise an obligation to oppose him and resist him”;
“he may be resisted and the fulfilment of his commands prevented” with “open resistance”. Again, “it is lawful to oppose him publicly”;
“every person, in fact, has the right to oppose an unjust action in order to prevent, if he is able, its being carried out.” Indeed, “it is imperative to resist a pope who is openly destroying the Church.” He “should not be obeyed” and it is “lawful to resist him” if he acts contrary to justice and the common good
A pope has no right to teach novelty. It is “lawful to resist him by not doing what he orders and preventing his will from being executed” should he destroy the Church. (From: romancatholocism.org)
What we can do:
- Pray and fast
- Forward LifeSite News, and other truly “Catholic” news to our friends and family. I find some of these people will forward them on to others of their families and friends.
- For those who do not have a computer (mainly the elderly), print off the articles for them to read. You would be surprised at their reaction. I have had people thank me, because it “opened their eyes” to the Truth.
- For people who love their Faith, but do not see, and are resistant to believing anything you tell them – show them traditional prophecies from Our Lady ( La Salette, Quito, Fatima, Akita, Fr. Gobbi…) and from Saints such as St. Francis of Assisi (this one will be very enlightening –it describes Pope Francis and the situation of the church exactly). Bl. Anne Catherine Emmerich, St Leo XIII, Pope Pius X, etc. Because these are so Catholic, they are very likely to accept them.
- Others, who love their Faith, may not be so convinced about prophecies – they say that we are not obliged to believe in them; that all we need to believe is from Christ and the Apostles. For these, they need to know about the Truths of their Faith and the role of the Pope, and the errors that the current pope is extolling.
- Make little booklets to hand out or download ours – “Tools of Evangelization” . see our home page or the menu on this website. We hand these out at our general meetings and individuals then hand them out to others. We even have someone who goes out to shopping centres!